13 July 2009



THE CAKE EATERS

First, I like the title....although from the cover I know it got nothing to do with Eating cake!
This is a relatively small budgeted film done by no other than Mary Stuart Masterson! Rings a bell? We know her from "Fried Green Tomatoes" (shame on you- if you've not seen that) how about "Law & Order - Special Victims Unit"? OK.....this you better know: "Some Kind of Wonderful" 80's classic romantic flick! With her tomboy short hair....BASTA!

Second, I got curious bcoz I saw Kristen Stewart's name on it....(paging Twilight fanatics..)
I watched Twilight and I have to say I second the motioned Stephen King's comment on Stephenie Meyer's writing skill "she can't write worth a darn!" the movie was also cheeesy!
Although I love the cinamatography---characters and acting and the script ofcourse are just LAME. Ok Ok getting back to the CAKE Eaters...

I saw KS in a different light -- she is a terminally ill teener who wants to experience life before her time runs out. I have a schoolmate back in Elementary who suffers from the same illness....one of her leg is shorter (i think) and she needed support to be able to walk. Let's call my schoolmate JQ, at that time her elder sis stays with her at school, she was one tough girl, i mean she bullies us! I saw KS in the movie & I see JQ in our school cafeteria lording her sister, her friends....and just now I found out through the movie that people with that illness may not live long....I wish JQ fulfilled her dream of finishing college, maybe having a BF....being kissed, having sex!! Coz that's what KS did try having & doing in the film.

Against her protective mom & grandma's wishes she seduced, i mean SEDUCED a normal guy -- well not exactly normal , cute weird maybe. And I think she eventually fell in love with the guy....(called Beagle) :-p Although the guy was actually already in love with her from the start ---- she realized that this guy really care for her. Aside form the 2 loveydoveys -- theres also Grandma & Beagle's pop affair, Beagles' big bros hang ups and the sleepy town's going ons.

I love the setting, the easy script, the unusual family set up and the actors.
KS did this film in 2007 way before Twilight. BTW there is something about the films I like and their titles...remember 7 Pounds? hehehe and Cake Eaters....I like weird titles.hmmmm

No comments: